Greencastle in the Sperrin foothills has a scattered population on its small farms. Up to the early years of the 20th
century there were many Gaelic speakers in the area and around 1910 it had an Irish College.
The parish is quite rich in archeological remains, including an Ogham Stone.
Settlement patterns similar to the Beaghmore stone circles, which border the parish, and the Ceide Fields of North Mayo, are evident.
NOBLE STORY – A SHORT HISTORY OF THE DIOCESE OF DERRY
Townlands of Greencastle Parish
Hover over an area of the map to learn about it
Tap an area of the map to learn about it
Meanings compiled by P. McAleer